Translate

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Flower Power

I had read that having plants and flowers in your home can help with depression and anxiety. When I first tried to deal with my low mood over a year ago I started exercising, ate healthier, put air purifying plants upstairs in my home and bunches of flowers downstairs. So what is the science behind this?

Research linked flowers and plants in hospital rooms to mean patients need less pain relief, have lower blood pressure, more energy, lower pulse rates, less anxiety and feel generally in a better mood than patients in rooms with no plants or flowers. It is said that floral scents can reduce anxiety too and something less scientific.... it's lovely to buy yourself a plant or flowers or even better have them gifted to you.


I pick up flowers from my regular supermarket for about £2-£5 a bunch and they last 1-3 weeks. I pick something that I like the look, smell and colour of and place them where I can easily see them when sat watching television, eating or in the bath. You may have a favourite or flowers that hold a special memory for you. I'd suggest calm colours rather than bright and clashing and something that fits in with your room decor. Is there something that reminds you of a special place or a holiday? Something that relates to a loved one?

And if your loved one has anxiety or depression why not take them a small potted plant or a small bunch of flowers. Nothing overwhelmingly big or expensive just a little token of love.

Plants are also great for regaining responsibility by having something to nurture and care for. It doesn't have to be flowers in your home maybe a greenhouse, park, botanical garden, garden centre, windowbox or country house garden you can visit for a full day of floral scents, gorgeous scenery and a good relaxing walk or sit in a beautiful garden. I try whenever the weather is nice to eat meals in our garden too. We have bonsai trees in moss filled pots, climbing plants and tall trees nearby which make a peaceful rustling sound in the wind and look beautiful in the Autumn/Fall.  If you live in an urban area you could try window boxes and potted plants as well as plants in your home.

My favourite air purifying plants for the results in the air and for their look...
  • Aloe Vera
  • Prayer Plant
  • Peace Lily
  • Bamboo
  • Spider Plant
  • Dracaena
  • English Ivy
  • Rubber Plant
Flowers and plants I like to have in my home...
  • daffodils
  • Fairtrade roses 
  • bonsai trees (in my garden)
  • bamboo
  • prayer plant
  • lilies
  • sunflowers
  • orchids
  • tulips
  • moss
Find something you love and give it ago!

Much love,
Becky xx

No comments: